Tuesday, 9 February 2010

Learned Hand

The great US judge and judicial philosopher Learned Hand was born on the same day as I , on the 27th January. His greatness was already justified, but he did a lot more to deserve the fame and respect that his name carries in the courts of the most powerful democracy in the world. , and I do tend to agree with his decisions and thoughts.
Hand was amongst the greatest judicial prodigies produced by that country. He has been the most oft quoted judge by the US supreme court in judicial history.
In his I am an American Speech , he defined the spirit of liberty. This is what he had to say,

"What then is the spirit of liberty?
I cannot define it ; I can only tell you my own faith.
The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right; It is the spirit that seeks to understand the minds of men and women, It is the spirit which weighs their interests alongside its own without bias; The spirit of liberty remembers that not even a sparrow falls to the earth unheeded; The spirit of liberty is the spirit of Him , who near 2000 years ago, taught mankind that lesson it has never learned , but has never quite forgotten; that there may be a kingdom where the least shall be heard and considered side by side with the greatest."


He once said that liberty lies in our hearts, and once it dies there, then no constitution , however righteous and powerful, can save it.

How apropos, N’cest il pas ?
He defined the nation’s courts and the process of the judiciary as well as the fiduciary duties of a lawyer. Rights enjoyed today by most Americans are perhaps manly due to him. people like Oliver Wendell Holmes , Taft , etc had huge respect for this man , who in his youth was a very a quiet person .
Imagine this man , coming back to life and seeing the dreary atmosphere , this subfusc cloud of tyranny and oppression gripping the world, where a government can do anything to protect it’s citizens , sometimes even by taking their freedom of rights , all for the purpose of protecting “freedom”.
Let us learn from this man. He did a lot of good for humanity , let us have the common decency to give something back to this man . I am not being a mulligrub due to the nival weather that i currently have to face, i am just a bit concerned for the future of this once superior race,
This degringolade of human behaviour must cease at once else we are doomed, of that i am sure. I pray that his sedulous efforts don’t surcease just because of a few demagogues. We don’t want to make the earth a chthonic paradise now do we? Lol, i am getting way of course. I believe it is the apropos time for the denouement of this note.

laa korn
ps-it is in the second language i learnt after english :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment